As those of you who have seen the updates on www.murp.ca will know, we have met our initial fundraising goal of $50,000 and have formally applied to have a family assigned to us. Originally, we imagined resettling a family of four, however, most Syrian families arriving are between 5 and 7 members. We revised our goal to $75,000 to better support a larger family and set them up for success in their new life in Toronto. Our fundraising efforts include concerts, the first of which is on April 15!
We will also be holding a silent auction on May 3 at The Church of St. Mary Magdalene and are looking for items to auction. (See the list that follows). Please get in touch as soon as you can at [email protected] if you have an item or items to contribute.
Examples of suitable auction items
Professional sports tickets
Do you know anyone, a friend or someone with season tickets who might donate a pair of tickets to Blue Jays, Raptors, Leafs, Royal Winter Fair Horse Show, Rogers’ Cup Tennis, Molson Indie, etc. Maybe ask your lawyer or accountant if their firm has corporate tickets they might want to donate?
Professional performing arts tickets
- Opera Atelier (Canadian Opera tickets have been donated)
- National Ballet
- Theatre – Canadian Stage, Shaw, Soulpepper, Luminato, Mirvish
- Music – Hugh’s Room, Koerner Hall, Toronto Symphony, Roy Thomson Hall
- Passes to ROM, AGO, Textile Museum, Gardiner, Power Plant, Casa Loma the City of Toronto historical museums (Fort York, Colborne Lodge, Spadina House, Mackenzie House, Gibson House )
- Ideally these to be enhanced with lunch at the museum restaurant or somewhere nearby, a tour with a curator etc.
We rarely discover the city where we live in the way we explore and experience a city we are visiting. We could put together packages that give people this unique experience of Toronto, for example:
- A walking tour for four of Haunted Toronto (Muddy York Tours offers Toronto’s Haunted Streets and University of Toronto Ghosts) with dinner or lunch at the Keg in the old Massey Mansion where people have seen the ghost of a maid who hanged herself there
- A tour of – for example – Old City Hall or the Toronto Archives with historian and broadcaster Mike Filey
- Wild Toronto – a tour for four of the Leslie Street Spit with a conservationist followed by lunch at e.g. the Cherry St. Restaurant
- Toronto Harbour – a private boat tour of the harbour for 6 with cocktails
- Paddling adventure – an adventure for 4 – learn to kayak, canoe or paddle board on the Humber River orontoadventures.ca/testted-k-c/
- Bird-watching on the Humber
Donations of e.g. dinners for 2 or 4 experiences such as:
- 6 friends cooking a meal with a chef
- A group learning to make a specific type of dish or specialty with an expert e.g. chocolate truffles, Indian snacks
- An individual getting to help a craft brewer with a new beer
For example, time at a cottage, hotel or country inn
Art and Antiques
- Original prints, paintings, sculpture – ideally by established – i.e. searchable – artists
- Silver, glass, china and ceramics, easily movable small furniture e.g. side tables, cabinets, lamps
- First edition or collector books
Home and Garden
- New or gently used high quality items, such as crystal, china, etc.
- Garden items could such items as decorative urns, ceramic pots, wall fountains, metal or ceramic seating or décor such as obelisks, trellises, sculptures, new/never used secateurs, etc.
- A garden experience could be consultation with a landscaper or plant expert and a gift certificate for plants
If you have something to donate that you don’t see on this list, please get in touch!
Many thanks – keep checking out www.murp.ca for updates.